Smart solutions for POPIA compliance
Does your website comply with the South Africa protection of personal information act? See What CookieHub’s consent management platform can do for you.
POPIA went into effect in 2020 and is now seen as the strongest personal data protection act in Africa. If your website collects personal data from people in South Africa, you absolutely must ensure your data collection practices meet every aspect of this important law.
What Is POPIA?
POPIA is the South African Protection of Personal Information Act. Enforcement of this law began in 2021. The law is very similar to Europe’s GDPR and Brazil’s LGPD, though there are some differences. While compliance with GDPR and LGPD means you are mostly in compliance with POPIA, there are some distinct differences that must be adhered to if your website collects and stores personal information from people in South Africa.
Key areas where POPIA differs from GDPR include:
- The definition of the territory governed by the regulations
- The definition of pseudonymized data – under POPIA, “de-identify”. This means the ability to delete any information that identifies the data subject, can be used or manipulated to identify the subject, or can be linked to a method that can identify the data subject
- Protections afforded to children, which are not defined in GDPR but under POPIA include anyone under 18 years old who is not legally competent
- Provisions for handling data processing records; under POPIA, “a responsible party must maintain the documentation of all processing operations under its responsibility”
- The appointment of a data protection officer — while the roles are similar, the appointment process is different in South Africa
- Rules for how to handle data security and data breaches; under POPIA the details are different when it comes to notifications and what constitutes reasonable measures
Let CookieHub’s consent management platform simplify your POPIA compliance
CookieHub has smart solutions that take the pain out of POPIA compliance and give you peace of mind — focus on your core business operations, not fast-emerging privacy laws.
With CookieHub, you can:
- Easily comply with legal obligations: Reduce your risk and avoid legal troubles
- Offer premium security assurances to your website visitors: Instill trust and gain enthusiastic customers
- Limit damage to your reputation: Under POPIA, breaches must be disclosed — with good consent management, that can be avoided
- Prevent client losses: Protect your customers and gain their trust and confidence along the way
CookieHub helps you:
- Easily comply with POPIA rules
- Avoid penalties and even jail time
- Ensure your reputation remains strong
- Prevent the loss of clients
- Proactively delete old data as needed
- Support data subject access requests
- Support data deletion requests from private individuals
- Enable the location of files that need to be deleted for compliance purposes
- Promote a culture of security in your organization
- Operate with full confidence
Comply with POPIA cookie privacy laws
CookieHub helps you protect your users privacy in South Africa by complying to strict cookie consent laws.
Explore pricing plans
CookieHub is a subscription service that offers flexible pricing plans to suit the needs of websites of all sizes. Find the plan that works for you.
Try CookieHub today for free.
- 30 day free trial
- No credit card required